Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Federal Benefits, U.S. Taxes and Voting

The Consular office in Kazakhstan does not have a representative from the Social Security Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, IRS, or the DOD Federal Voting Assistance Program, however, we can provide you with information, forms, and assistance on behalf of these and other federal agencies.

Recipients of U.S. federal benefits, such as Social Security or Veterans benefits, may be able receive these benefits in Kazakhstan.

As a U.S. citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income is generally subject to U.S. income tax. The IRS website offers comprehensive information on tax matters. There are also many private resources on the Internet that advertize US tax filing assistance (we assume no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the bellow persons or firms):

Points to Keep in Mind When Choosing A Tax Preparer

The American Citizen Services Unit can provide you with some IRS forms and publications as well. We cannot, however, offer tax advice.

The American Citizen Services Unit also has information on how to register and apply for absentee ballots for federal and state elections. Keep in mind that you should register every year to vote by absentee ballot. You should register early in the year to allow time for the materials to be sent to you and returned.  

The American Citizen Services Unit can place properly packaged, addressed and stamped (with U.S. domestic postage) absentee ballots in the U. S. Government mail system. We cannot sell stamps, weigh items, provide receipts, or put any other items in the U.S. mail system. Be aware that our system can experience delays - allow a month for delivery.

Please make an appointment before you visit the Consular Section.

  • Astana                                               
  • Almaty

For more information please visit American Citizens Services Abroad on the U.S. Department of State Travel web site.